Larry Liston works hard for the citizens of Colorado!
- Economic Growth & High-Paying Jobs
- Supports Working & Partnering with The University of Colorado Colorado Springs (UCCS), the Regiona��s Strongest Economic Driver
- Public Safety
- Honors & Supports Our First Responders
- Strongly Supports Our First & Second Amendment Rights
Larrya��s Awards & Achievements
Larry served eight years in the Colorado General Assembly (2005-2012). He served as chairman and ranking member of the business committee, member of the local government committee, and ranking member of the state veterans and military affairs committee. During his years of service Larry was consistently recognized for his conservative leadership.
- 2012 Outstanding Legislator a�� American Conservative Union
- 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006 a�� a�?Friend of the Taxpayer Awarda�?, Colorado Civil Justice League
- 2012, 2010, 2008, 2006 a�� Endorsed by National Federation of Independent Business
- 2010 Outstanding Legislator a�� United Veterans Commission of Colorado
- 2009 Legislator of the Year a�� Colorado Springs Chamber of Commerce
Larry on the Issues
- Protect TABOR and respect taxpayers: Larry voted against Ref. C in 2005 and will continue to fight to protect TABOR.
- Support veterans and the US Military: Larrya��s father was a WWII bomber pilot. Larry helped to make it easier for soldiers stationed overseas to vote. Larry was selected as the legislator of the year in 2010 by the United Veterans Committee. Larry will continue to fight to honor those who serve our country.
- Pro-2nd Amendment: Larry will defend our 2nd Amendment Rights. Larry is a NRA Life Member and Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition Member.
- Pro-life: Larry supports Pro-life legislation, defending the rights of the unborn, and de-funding Planned Parenthood.
- Oppose Obamacare and Amendment 69: Larry continues to oppose the expansion of Obamacare in Colorado and the adoption of single-payer health care under Amendment 69. Larry supports free market approaches to health care delivery such as expanded health savings accounts, the ability to purchase health insurance across state lines which increases competition and offers more choices and lower prices, and the ability for individuals to deduct health insurance premiums from Colorado state taxes.
- Maintain Transportation Infrastructure: Larry supports getting our fair share of transportation dollars for road and bridge improvements in Colorado Springs, including an emphasis on widening I-25 between Monument and Colorado Springs. Larry supported the Regional Transportation Authoritya��s expansion statement.
- Pro-Parent: Larry supports educational policies that emphasize more local control, school choice, technology and innovation in education. Larry supports school choice, home schooling, and parochial schools.
- Pro-Business Larry supports legislation that helps our economy grow. Larry passed legislation that reduced regulations for small businesses. Larry has been and will be continue to be an advocate for UCCS, an economic engine for House District 16 and the Pikes Peak region.
- Larry carried and passed legislation that lowered unemployment insurance rates for employers who were then able to increase their employee ranks during the recession
- Larry passed legislation that saved hard working Coloradoans thousands of dollars of over billing for pathology and lab services
- Larry was instrumental in passing legislation that restored financial solvency to Coloradoa��s Unemployment Insurance Trust Fund
- Larry passed legislation that protected small business medical equipment suppliers from increased and onerous taxes created by OBAMACARE
- Larry passed legislation that supported employers in their efforts to hire developmentally disabled citizens, ensuring the opportunity for these good people to work
- Larry carried and passed legislation that ensured that our first responders, police and firefighters can return to work without incurring penalties from their pension providers
- Larry supported legislation that ensured that our deployed Veterana��s had the right to vote in all Coloradoa��s elections
- Larry supported legislation that protects and ensures the ongoing water supply for Colorado Springs and El Paso County
- Larry passed legislation to assist Coloradoa��s K-12 schools access to alternative financing options that ensures educational opportunities for all students
Larrya��s Professional Experience
- Retired in 2008 after 33 years as an Investment Executive, First Vice President, for the Royal Bank of Canada:A� RBC Wealth Management
- Graduate, Colorado State University, 1975
- BS in Business Administration
- Minor in Political Science
- Enrolled in UCCS, 2013 – Present
- Working towards an MPA at school of Public Affairs
Larrya��s Community Involvement
- 1985 – Long-standing Member, Downtown Colorado Springs Rotary Club.
- Larry is a Paul Harris Fellow within Rotary
- 2000 a�� 2004 Member, Board of Directors, Pikes Peak Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Eagle Scout
Larrya��s Public Service
- 2005 a�� 2012 Served House District 16 and the Citizens of El Paso County and the State of Colorado in the Colorado House of Representatives
- 1995 a�� 1999 Member, El Paso County Highway Advisory Board
Larry, Political Activist and Volunteer
- 2000 a�� Present Member, Board of Directors, Pikes Peak Firearms Coalition
- Lifetime Member, National Rifle Association (NRA)
- 2001 a�� 2003 Vice, Chairman, Colorado Republican Party
- 2001 El Paso County GOP, Republican of the Year
- 1984-1996 – Precinct 217 leader
- 1997-2004 – House District 16 Chairman
- Delegate to the El Paso County and Colorado State Assemblies multiple years
- 1998, 2002 El Paso County Chair, Bill Owens for Governor
- 2000 El Paso County Co-Chair, George W. Bush for President
- 2000 Delegate for George W. Bush for President, Republican National Convention
- 1989 Graduate, Republican Leadership Program/Leadership Program of the Rockies
- 1999 Graduate, Campaign Management School, Leadership Institute
Larry, A Family Man
- Married for 36 years to Mary Ann an Attorney/Retired
- Father to Katarina (Katie) who was raised in House District 16 is currently living and working in Connecticut with her husband, Dr. Chris Schutt who is completing his Residency at Yale University
- Grandfather to 1A?-Year-Old Carter Schutt
- Active Member, First Presbyterian Church of Colorado Springs
- Hobbies include skiing, golfing, hiking, reading a good book on history, and walking neighborhoods and talking to voters